This is my MASTER zucchini recipe for mom. No need to look further. I’ve tried couple of Zucchini recipes, and this one is among the BEST.
I do half and half oil/applesauce and substitute and reduce to 2 cups of sugar – plenty sweet! ( warning: usually less sugar is more healthy )
Anyway, 1 cup brown sugar for the white. The brown sugar adds so much more richness and depth of flavor than just using all white sugar. I did start using at least 3 cups of zucchini. It melts and disappears into the bread and all you end up tasting is the cinnamon. So 3-4 cups is best, with true zucchini flavor. It won’t be green, trust me. No nuts needed or draining/squeezing out the zucchini either. The water adds to the moistness of the bread. 55 min. cook time for me. I did 60 min. the first time and it wasn’t as moist.
Alright, here is the original recipe submitted by vmonte:
Ingredients To Prepare:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 1/4 cups white sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Step By Step Instructions:
- Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well.
- Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.